13 Aralık 2009 Pazar

Burning The New York Times

A short interview video with Michael Mandiberg shot and Edited by Dan Eckstein (daneckstein.com) in March 2009, with Music from Au Revoir Simone at Eyebeam and Postmasters Gallery NYC.
From the dialog:
I'm Michael Mandiberg. I am an artist, designer, and educator, and I am a Senior Fellow at Eyebeam, which is an Art and Technology Center in Chelsea, Manhattan. 
As an artist I am pretty omnivorous. I have a background in photography, so it is pretty image based, but I was also a really really good bad high school poet. So I am particularly interested in words and their meaning, and their nuances and their poetic value. So I am always looking at the world around us visually, informationally, and culturally, and politically for inspiration
Some of my more recent work involves the laser cutter, cutting paper and books, making sculptures and drawings. The laser cutter takes the information from the computer file, and it uses a laser to cut that shape out of the material being cut, which in this case is a newspaper. 
A few of my recent works are at The Future Is Not What It Used To Be, which is a show at Postmasters Gallery. One is called Old News, which is a stack of New York Times into which I am cutting daily the phrase "Old News" into it. The other is DATA BASE, which is an Oxford English Dictionary with the phrase "DATA BASE" cut into it.
The show itself is about the promise and the failed promise of technology, and its potential to connect people or not connect people.

                              

Michael Mandiberg, New York City, burning the New York Times from Michael Mandiberg on Vimeo.


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder